Transition STEM: A Wounded Warriors Think Tank, sponsored by the National Science Foundation and hosted by the University of Missouri-Kansas City, took place in Kansas City on July 27-28, 2011.
This think tank was the first of its kind to convene national leaders to develop recommendations and action steps that higher education and industry can take to support Wounded Warriors who are interested in careers in the STEM fields.
Who participated? Transition STEM was an invitation-only event for leaders representing points of transition in veterans' lives:
- Wounded Warriors and their transition experiences
- STEM industry representatives who value veterans as employees
- Higher education leaders who recruit and support Wounded Warriors in their STEM degrees
- Researchers’ insight into effective supports for Wounded Warriors
- Policy leaders who determine transition protocol to higher education
The Transition STEM program featured:
- Nationally known keynote speakers
- Dynamic panel presentations
- Community conversation on Wounded Warrior transition issues
- Networking breaks and an interactive service project
- Pre-event tour and welcome dinner July 26 at the National World War I Museum
Please check the Agenda and Speakers pages for more details.